If you want to fight a DUI charge in South Carolina, you need an attorney with experience. DUI lawyers work to help their clients:
- Minimize fines
- Protect their rights
- Obtain all discovery in their case and help the client to understand the legal process
- Keep or regain their driver’s licenses
- Maintain their jobs
Do you need a DUI lawyer in North Charleston? Contact Duffy Law Firm for help today.
Is a DUI a Felony Or a Misdemeanor In South Carolina?
A DUI by itself is a misdemeanor. However, if a person has multiple DUI’s within a ten (10) year period, it can become a felony after the 3rd Offense. It can also become a Felony if the driver of a motor vehicle is in a car wreck and a passenger, other driver, or pedestrian suffer great bodily injury or death. A DUI with minor injuries will likely not be a felony.
- Any DUI that causes injuries to a third party is a felony
What Influences the Penalties For DUI In South Carolina?
These factors will influence what penalties you could face after a DUI:
- Is it a first, second, or third DUI (Or D.U.A.C.?)? within ten years?
- What was your Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) at the time of arrest?
- Did you refuse to take a chemical test (like a breath test) after your DUI arrest and after the request of the officer?
- Was there any other charges associated with your arrest (child endangerment, illegal possession of narcotics, other driving offenses such as Driving Under Suspension)
- Did your DUI result in anyone being previously harmed, suffering great bodily injury or death?
Do DUIs Appear On Background Checks?
Yes. A DUI arrest will appear on your background check, with it showing a disposition of “pending” but no conviction. If you are convicted, then your conviction will DUI convictions appear on your criminal record. Once you have a conviction for DUI, it is there permanently and it cannot be expunged or removed from your record. It will be there in perpetuity. That’s why it’s so important to work with a lawyer. If you plead guilty just to get your legal trouble over with, your criminal record could impact a lot of parts of your life:
- Your employment
- Your future employment
- Your educational opportunities
- And more
Should I Fight My DUI Charge?
Yes. It’s even possible to beat a DUI charge if you were over the legal BAC limit.
A DUI lawyer can help you fight your DUI charge. DUI attorneys help their clients by:
- Using legal experience and knowledge to form legal defenses
- Working with experts from different industries to prove certain points (like doctors or car manufacturers)
- Using reasonable doubt to make the government prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt
If You Need a DUI Lawyer In North Charleston, The Duffy Law Firm Can Help
Need help from an experienced DUI lawyer in North Charleston? Our legal team can help. Contact Duffy Law Firm today to speak to a legal professional and set up your consultation.